RSI and the State of Maryland to Implement a Commercial off-the-Shelf (COTS) Integrated Tax System (ITS)
January 3, 2019. Pembroke, MA – RSI, a company that specializes in providing revenue and compliance management products and services to federal, state and municipal government revenue, labor and child support agencies, is pleased to announce that the Comptroller of Maryland (COM) has selected RSI’s Revenue Premier® for its Commercial off-the-Shelf (COTS) Integrated Tax System (ITS).
The Maryland Board of Public Works approved the contract to replace the State of Maryland’s existing tax administration, tax processing, imaging, accounting, collections, and Abandoned Property (AP) systems. The state-of-the-art solution will expand revenue-generating projects, provide enhanced reporting functionality and make filing easier for taxpayers.
Building on Maryland’s existing investments and leveraging new, open technologies, Revenue Premier will form an end-to-end first-class solution to achieve COM’s high-level goals for the Compass Program. The Revenue Premier Integrated Tax System solution will do the following:
- Apply analytics to processing data to allow the COM to maximize audit, collection, reporting, and estimating functionality
- Allow COM to improve fraud detection and prevention programs
- Allow COM to maximize compliance with required and recommended Security standards, internal controls, and policies by centralizing Security
- Increase automation of business processes to increase efficiencies, eliminate inefficiencies, and better utilize available resources
- Increase the ability for taxpayers to manage their accounts via online self-service applications
- Include imaging and document processing to replace the current imaging equipment and processes
- Include an electronic filing capability to replace the current Modernized e-File (MeF), Online Individual Tax Filing (iFile), Online Business Tax Filing (bFile), and Fed/State Employment Taxes (FSET) processes
- Include the processing of AP Reports and claims, and leverage the efficiencies of an integrated solution for the purposes of administration and offsets.
The system will also allow the Comptroller’s office to implement changes to Maryland tax laws more quickly than it can now. Deputy Comptroller Sharonne Bonardi, who is overseeing the system’s implementation, said, “We would definitely be able to be more responsive, more agile and, happily, at a lower expense.”
Revenue Premier will be implemented as a cloud solution hosted in the Microsoft® Azure Government Cloud, which is FedRAMP and IRS Publication 1075 compliant. The hosted environments are provided and managed by RSI and integrated with the COM’s existing data warehouse. The new project is expected to bring the collection of all Maryland taxes — income, sales, alcohol, fuel and others — under a single system.
“We understand that this is about much more than just replacing aging technology, it is an investment with a strategic partner, accountable to deliver measurable business results for COM and its customers, Maryland taxpayers.” Paul Morris, RSI Vice President.
RSI has utilized its extensive tax processing background and compliance knowledge to develop Revenue Premier, a COTS integrated tax software package that supports taxpayer registration, return/payment processing, taxpayer accounting, revenue accounting, collections, audit, tax data warehousing, decision analytics, business intelligence, case/workflow management, correspondence management and system administration.
RSI’s mission is to streamline government operations and improve citizen services through the delivery of transformative technologies. RSI partners with clients on information technology initiatives to improve customer service, increase operational efficiency and maximize compliance. Federal, State and Municipal government agencies rely on RSI’s extensive expertise in business and technical domains. With a dedicated team of full-time business and information systems consultants and a suite of software solutions, RSI is one of the largest organizations of its kind dedicated exclusively to tax, labor and child support agencies.
Revenue Premier®, RSI’s flagship product, provides an integrated, functional and advanced technical solution to support the processing, tax accounting and compliance functions of a revenue agency. Revenue Premier is comprised of four (4) primary modules – Integrated Tax Processor, Collections Manager, Portfolio Warehouse and Audit Manager. Revenue Premier boasts an open technical design and a set of shared services which provide vast flexibility for reusing services, integrating other products and a variety of supporting technical infrastructure options.